Thursday, January 7, 2010

Solo Indulgence

Tonight, I'm alone. Not truly alone, I have Mac and Tucker, our 3 1/2 year old yellow and black labs to keep me company. Not to mention my 14 year old Maine Coone cat, Jasmine. Oops, she's only 13 years and 9 months. No sense in making her older than she is, she'll give me an attitude. My boyfriend is off for wings with a friend so I thought I would take this "me-time" to indulge. Thus, I've chosen to continue with Giada De Laurentiis' "Family Dinners" cookbook and make some cookies. mmmmmmmmm The cookies she made for her own wedding no less.

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Hazelnuts

I have pretty much most of the ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, chocolate chips (really, who doesn't have a steady supply of chocolate chips on hand??). So I had to purchase old-fashioned oats, hazelnuts and skor bits. These three items, in the quantities I need for the recipe, only cost about $5.50. The recipe states it makes 48 cookies. I think it is pretty cheap. So, I'm going to get my stuff together and start baking. Join me! For some extra inspiration, I've got Daughtry's "Leave this Town" CD playing. He's awesome!

So, the first thing I have to do is toast and husk the hazelnuts. That's going to take 5-10 minutes @ 400'. So, while that's preheating, I'm going to get my other ingredients in place. (Mac and Tucker are both laying in the kitchen and I have to walk over them all the time! But they're too cute to move.)

Baking Tip: Always measure and level your baking ingredients. Baking is a precise science. There's a reason why specific measurements are called for. Level your flour, baking powder, whatever you have to. Very important.

Last year, I treated myself to a KitchenAid Mixer. I can't believe how I did without it for so many years! It's a truly amazing machine. Let it whip!!!

The dry and wet ingredients have been mixed separately. I'm still waiting for the hazelnuts to toast and I still have to husk them. But, did you know... somewhere in the world, if you crack and egg and a piece of the shell breaks off into your baked goods, that means good luck?

To husk the hazelnuts, I followed the directions. Simply roll a few of them in your hands and let the skin fall off! Works perfectly. It's still ok to have a bit of the skin on them.

People, if you've ever had a Ferroro Rocher chocolate ball... well... I'm making the cookie version of it. The cookie dough is to DIE FOR!! OMG. I'll be lucky if I actully bake the cookies before I eat the entire bowl of dough! The chopped hazelnuts and the chocolate chips.... mmmmmmm.

Ok, the first 30 cookies are in the oven. 15 minutes to wait..... Ok, you didn't just see my hand dip into the dough again. Close your eyes.

Dishes are done. And just to keep you all posted, Tucker (black lab) has moved out of the kitchen. Apparently, I was bothering him with my baking. Plus, he was probably tired of waiting for something (aka: treats) to fall on the floor.

The house smells like a cookie factory. The cookies look like little treasures that you place in your mouth for safekeeping. mmmmmm.

No, I didn't just take another bite of cookie dough. Have some faith!

I have been able to make over 60 cookies with this recipe. It states 4 dozen but there's so much dough.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has come. After the first bite, making sure that I have a bit of everything in my mouth.... they are delightful. However, I wonder if the dough doesn't have more flavour than the cookie?? It seems that if you don't have a piece of chocolate, hazelnut, and skor in your mouth, there's a bit of flavour lacking. I guess the solution is to make sure when you're putting the tablespoonfuls of dough on the baking sheet, there is a bit of everything in it. Otherwise, they are really nice cookies. I can't say that I'm as over excited about them as I was about the salad last night, but they are still worthwhile. And since the batter makes 60+ cookies, it's a good recipe for larger parties or giving as gifts.

I'll give these a 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

Okay, tomorrow, I'm taking the day off from cooking and going to see my favorite actress, Amy Adams in her new movie "Leap Year". Yes, that's right, I'm forcing my boyfriend to take me to dinner and a chick flick. Haven't seen one in a while and the time has come.

Take care everyone. Stay tuned for the next adventure in my kitchen when I challenge a celebrity recipe.

Cheers!

Colleen

1 comment:

  1. If you know someone who loves candles and enjoys surprises, then these Grape Scented Candle are sure to please.

    ReplyDelete