Thursday, January 28, 2010

Celebrity Free Week!

Hi everyone,

The past week has been celebrity recipe free, due to my travel schedule. However, I have been cooking but I've been trying to use up what I have in my fridge and my pantry without having to buy extra unique ingredients. So, I've been cooking from my "New Chatelaine Cookbook" that I've had since it's publication in 1992. It's an 18 year old cookbook but it's always served me well. Let me tell you what I've made from it this past week:

1. Superb Beef Bourguignonne. My oh my, this was the most delicious beef bourguignonne that I have EVER made. 2 cups of red wine (my own home made California dry) was, in my opinion, the key ingredient to this outstanding dish. It simmered for 2 1/2 hours and the beef was so tender and juicy at the end. It made enough for 6 servings and it was even better the next day. I had all the ingredients on hand which made me quite happy. The smell of simmering beef in red wine was to die for. I highly recommend this recipe and if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll post it.

2. Giant Oatmeal Cookies. Winner!! I didn't actually make them into 13 giant cookies but I made 32 medium sized ones and holy moly, they are scrumptious! I couldn't stop eating the batter it was so buttery creamy! I suppose I could have made another 5 cookies but, alas, the batter was being depleted quickly into my stomach. Another great recipe from this cookbook.

3. Outstanding Greek Salad. Pretty tasty. I had to buy feta cheese, pita bread, and anchovy paste but that was it. I had everything else on had. It was quite good. The pita chips were deliciously baked with melted butter and parsley to a beautiful golden crispness. Tossed with the marinated tomatoes and salad dressing, I feel those really made the salad. Taking a bite of everything and making sure there is a bit of pita and feta in your mouth, it was very, very good.

I'm traveling again soon so I'm not sure exactly when I'll be tackling another celebrity recipe, but rest assured, I've got plenty of ammunition to work with and I'll hunt one down that is a challenge and weigh in on the results.

If anyone is interested in trying out the recipes, let me know and I'll send along the details. If you do make it, let me know how it turns out. I'd love to hear if people feel the same way about them that I do and if their experiences are similar.

Cheers!

Colleen

1 comment:

  1. Creme brulee candles are a great way to enjoy the taste of creme brulee candles without actually having to bake a cake. These candles are made with a special type of wax that gives them a smooth, creamy texture. They also have a strong, sweet scent that will make your mouth water.

    ReplyDelete