Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Salad night!

So the process has begun. Join me as I work through this recipe and detail the progress. The first thing I have to say is that the recipe states at the top that it's "6 servings" and then further down, it says to mound the salad on "4 plates". Error! That means that the per serving cost is different. Turns out it's $3.62 per serving. That's still ok. But that typo should have been caught. If someone simply looked at the top to determine the servings of the recipe, knowing that they would have 6 people for dinner, they wouldn't have enough salad.

The second thing is, please, please wear gloves when peeling and cutting the beets. Bloody messy! I took the hint after my first beet. The redness wears off slowly so it's not terrible, but you wouldn't want to get any on your clothes.

The beets are currently in the oven roasting for 30 minutes as per the first portion of the recipe. I need to cut the avocado. Be back in a bit..... The recipe calls for 1/2 an avocado. I wonder what I should do with the other 1/2? I mean, I realize I can put the whole thing in there but, this is a pet peeve of mine. Why ask for 1/2 of anything like an avocado if you don't have anything else to do with it? It'll just go bad.

The smell of the beets roasting is delicious! I've just taken the foil off to allow them to caramelize and the smell is drifting everywhere. Yummy.

I love toasted nuts. I just toasted the walnuts on the stove for 5 minutes and the kitchen is smelling divine now.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

This was a fabulous dish! My boyfriend and I absolutely loved it. Creamy and crunchy, sweet and bitter, salty and sweet. Everything for a perfect marriage of flavour. Having a bite of goat cheese with everything is awesome. Putting a mixture of everything in your mouth is the best. It can easily be made into 2 servings and therefore turned into an entree. Very filling with just enough room for dessert! It didn't even feel like it took long time to make either because the smell of the roasting beets led to the anticipation of putting it in your mouth. It was all good!


I give this recipe 5 stars (out of 5). Highly recommended.

Stay tuned while I contemplate the next recipe!

Cheers!

Colleen




No comments:

Post a Comment